Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Sketchy Steampunk


Photobucket


So anyone wonder what a steampunk is?  Well I did.   I googled it and now I'm fascinated.  

Wikipedia said,

Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fictionalternate history, and speculative fiction that came into prominence during the 1980s and early 1990s.[1] Steampunk involves a setting where steam power is still widely used—usually the Victorian era Britain—that incorporates elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology or futuristic innovations as Victorians may have envisioned them; based on a Victorian perspective on fashionculturearchitectural styleart, etc. This technology may include such fictional machines as those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne.
Other examples of steampunk contain alternative history-style presentations of such technology as lighter-than-air airshipsanalog computers, or such digital mechanical computers as Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace's Analytical engine.
Steampunk is sometimes compared to cyberpunk, although apart from the shared origins of the name, they have almost nothing in common. Their time period and level of technology are different and steampunk settings also tend to be less dystopian.[citation needed]
Various modern utilitarian objects have been modded by individual artisans into a pseudo-Victorian mechanical "steampunk" style, and a number of visual and musical artists have been described as steampunk.


Interesting right?

Anyways,   here is my steampunk inspired card.    




I just love Steampunk Rio from Simply Betty Stamps.
   I wish there were more but we won't get into that.    





Challenges:
About the card:
  • Card measures at 5 1/4 X 5 1/4:  black polka dot paper 5X5, the wider rectangle (card stock 2 1/4 X 4 1/4, DSP is 2 X 4),  the narrow rectangles (card stock 1 X 4 1/4, DSP 3/4 X 4 1/4) 
  • I used Echo Park Paper For the Record kit (includes the stickers I used).   I think it has a great retro feel that is prefect for the steampunk inspiration. 
  • I used my nesties to cut the ovals and for everything else I used my Tonic Paper cutter.   
Materials:
  • As usually everything came from Simply Betty Stamps:  Paper, stickers and Steam Punk image.  

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. This looks fabulous! I love the colors, and the fact that you gave folks the defintion of Steampunk in your post. Great job! Thank you so much for playing along with DICC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This si awesome Jennifer, you did a fabulous job! And the image is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous darlin'!!She's on eof my fav images.Thanks for playing along with us at Graphicat Sketches!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute, I love this stamp too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i dont know how I missed commenting on this Jennifer... it's frigign AWESOME! I love that Steampunk Rio. And you did an AWESOME job with the sketch too!
    Miss ya!
    talk to you soon!
    cheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really cool about your research! I have been staring at your wonderful card for a while... and well I am late commenting but I finally have like ten minutes of free time on the computer where I am not inking, coloring, drawing, or uploading stuff!

    I love the card, but you already new that! Hugs my friend miss ya loads!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I love hearing your feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails